National Raisin Bread Day
Sept 16th is National Raisin Bread Day! Below is a Raisin Bread Recipe with ButterCream Icing, for all to share! Remember send a recipe to email@example.com and get a 10% off any purchase discount code.
- 4½ to 5½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 pkg instant dry yeast
- ⅓ cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup warm water
- 1½ cups raisins, plumped in hot water, then drained
- Cinnamon sugar (1/2 tsp cinnamon & ½ cup sugar)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
Directions for ButterCream
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix until well blended.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to stir, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
Instructions for making the bread
In a large bowl, mix 1¼ cups flour, salt and instant yeast. Add butter and mix for one minute. Gradually add water. Stir vigorously. Scrape bowl and add 3 whole eggs, 1 egg white, ½ cup flour and ¼ cup sugar. Stir vigorously some more.
Stir in about 4 cups flour by hand (just enough to make a soft dough). Dough will be sticky. Add raisins and 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar at this time. Reserve extra cinnamon sugar for other use.
Knead dough on a generously floured surface for 8-10 minutes. Place in oiled bowl, turn to coat with oil, cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Place in a warm, draft free place to rise for 1 to 1½ hours.
Divide dough into 2 pieces. Punch down dough and press flat to a 12″ x 8″ rectangle. Fold short ends in and roll up loaf starting on long side. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Return to warm place to rise for 1 hour.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. When cool, frost top of loaf with white buttercream icing.