Monte Cristo Sandwich
Today, September 17th, is National Monte Cristo Day. So here is a clone of DisneyLand Monte Cristo Sandwich!!
- 8 slices Texas toast white bread
- 1/2 pound sliced turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar and raspberry jam for serving
- Lay 4 slices of the bread on a flat surface.
- Layer the ham, then cheese, then turkey onto each piece of bread. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Place toothpicks into all four corners of each sandwich to secure the sandwiches closed.
- Add the flour, egg, baking powder, sugar and water to a medium bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Dredge one sandwich in the batter, making sure all surfaces are covered.
- Place in the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each surface, turning carefully with the tongs to make sure all sides are browned.
- Repeat the batter and cooking process with the remaining sandwiches.
- Remove the toothpicks from the sandwiches. Cut each sandwich into quarters.
- Sprinkle the sandwiches with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry jam.