Chipotle Grilled Shrimp with Lime Beer
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican beer, divided
- wooden or metal skewers
- Mix together the garlic, chipotle peppers, lemon juice, olive oil, paprika, cilantro, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and 3/4 cup beer in a bowl.
- Reserve aside 2 tablespoons of Marinade for the sauce.
- Stir in the shrimp, and mix well to thoroughly coat. Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- For the basting sauce, mix reserved marinade, remaining 3/4 cup beer, brown sugar and lime juice in a small saucepan.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced by half and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the basting sauce for brushing shrimp during grilling. Set remaining basting sauce aside.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade, and discard excess marinade.
- Thread about 5 shrimp per skewer.
- Grill shrimp skewers over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes per side or just until shrimp turn pink, brushing with reserved 2 tablespoons basting sauce.
- Serve shrimp with remaining basting sauce for dipping.