- 1 10 -14 # brisket.
FOR THE DRY RUB
- 1/3 cup smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
Cooking times will vary as will the temperature that the meat is smoked at depending on the smoker used. We use an electric smoker, and set the temperature to 230 degrees. We cook the brisket for 16-20 hours.
- Trim the brisket or buy a brisket that is already trimmed.
- Pat the meat dry with paper towels
- Generously cover the brisket on all sides and ends with the dry rub
- Begin smoking the meat, use hickory or mesquite wood chips. We love mesquite!
- Everyone is different, however we continue to smoke for 4-5 hours. After that usually the meat will not take anymore smoke
- During the “sweat” some people wrap the brisket in butcher paper to retain moisture. We do not do that. And we never open the smoker.
- Once the brisket reaches 195 degrees, we let it rest in the smoker until it is time to eat.