Cubano Sandwiches with Smoked Pork or Mojo Pork as it is called
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (2 to 3 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Four 6-inch loaves Cuban bread
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 pickles, thinly sliced (about 20 slices)
- 12 ounces shaved deli ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Trim off most of the fat cap to the pork shoulder and score the shoulder with X marks along all the sides.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large stock pot and stir to incorporate.
- Place the pork shoulder into the stock pot.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. If the pork shoulder floats, then flip it half way through the marinating process.
- Remove pork from marinade
- Smoke the pork shoulder using any fruit tree wood. Apple cherry or peach. Internal temp of pork around 185°
TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICHES
- Preheat a cast iron skillet on medium/medium high heat. Or use a Panini press,
- Cut rolls in half, lengthwise, and butter both sides on the inside.
- Press down, buttered side, onto preheated skillet to get a light toast onto the inside of the roll. (About three minutes or until slightly golden).
- Remove from heat.
- On toasted roll start layering the sandwich.
- First apply the Dijon mustard to both sides of the roll.
- On the bottom roll layer with 1 slice of Swiss cheese (you may need to cut in half for the length of the sandwich)
- Add ¼ lb smoked pulled pork.
- Next add ham and sliced dill pickles.
- Then top with another slice of Swiss cheese.
- Finish by adding salt and pepper.
- Cover with the top of the hoagie roll, and then slather butter to the top and bottom of the roll.
- Place the sandwich onto the skillet and press with a heavy object like another cast iron pan.
- Flip after five minutes and repeat by pressing the sandwich with a heavy weight.
- Cook until the crust forms and the cheese is melted (about 4-5 minutes per side).
- Serve warm. The sandwich will press down flat and have a nice toast to it, the Swiss cheese acts like a glue, so be sure it’s melted enough
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.