Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 tsp butter (divided)
- 2 tsp olive oil (divided)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. white wine (may use water or broth instead)
- 1/3 cup onion (minced)
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (cut into small pieces)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the spaghetti al dente according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, butterfly the chicken breasts and/or pound to about ¼” thickness.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, melt the 1 tsp butter and add 1 tsp olive oil. Immediately add the chicken to the pan and allow it to cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until the chicken is very nicely browned and is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and cut into ½” pieces.
- Return the skillet to the stove top, and adjust heat to medium-low.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine to the mushrooms and cook for a few seconds.
- Put the onions and garlic into the skillet and continue to cook for 1-3 minutes, or until the onions and garlic are tender.
- Remove the mushroom mixture from the skillet and set aside.
- Return the skillet to the stove top, and add 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp olive oil to the pan. When the butter has melted, stir the flour into the butter/oil mixture and cook the flour for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and milk to the pan, about ½ cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Be sure to let the liquid become hot again before adding more liquid to reduce the risk of lumps.
- Once all the liquid has been added, bring it to a low simmer.
- Stir in the nutmeg and Swiss cheese. Continue to warm on the stovetop until the cheese has melted.
- In a large serving bowl, stir together the cooked pasta, chicken, and mushroom mixture. Pour the sauce over the mixture and stir until combined.
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.