Broccoli Cheese Soup
With Old Man Winter sending a blast of cold air down this weekend, it is a perfect time for Soup! What is your favorite soup? At The Epicurean Cook, we love Broccoli Cheddar. Perfect for those bitter cold nights.
A great Broccoli Cheese Soup is a thick, rich and creamy soup with chunks of tender broccoli pieces, shredded carrots and with a touch of nutmeg all cooked together in melted sharp cheese!
- 5 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 3 carrots , sliced into thin rounds
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces of sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan or soup pot.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, and pinch of salt; cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the butter and melt.
- Whisk in flour; whisk until incorporated.
- Slowly add milk and continue to whisk until everything is well combined and there are no clumps.
- Whisk in chicken broth, add bay leaf, and turn up heat to high; bring soup to a boil.
- Add the broccoli florets, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Pour batches of soup into a blender or a food processor, and puree.
- Return soup to the soup-pot; continue to cook over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until melted and completely combined.
- Stir in the paprika and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat.