Bourbon Glazed Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 4 strips bacon (cut in half)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt (to taste)
- fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup bourbon whiskey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan, mix to combine.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a rapid simmer until the liquid reduces to ¾ - 1 cup in volume. It will be the consistency of maple syrup. (approximately 15 minutes, depending on heat)
- Let glaze cool before use.
- It can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Preheat the grill. Prepare your grill to cook at Medium-High heat (around 400-450 degrees F).
- Rinse the asparagus and pat dry.
- Trim the asparagus. Lay the asparagus flat on a cutting board and trim the ends by bending the bottom of the asparagus until it naturally snaps. This will ensure you don't have any woody pieces in your bundles.
- Drizzle the asparagus with the olive oil and season to taste with the salt and pepper. Gently roll around the cutting board to ensure all of the asparagus has been seasoned.
- Wrap in bacon. Gather the asparagus into bundles of 6-8 shoots and wrap with a half piece of bacon. Try gently tucking the end of the bacon into itself at the end to secure. Toothpicks are also an option to secure the bacon, but be sure to remove them before serving.
- Place the bundles directly on the grill grates and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, brushing generously with the bourbon glaze while cooking until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is crisp.
- Serve immediately.