Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 ½ cups hulled strawberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Divide the pie pastry in half; roll out half into a circle on a floured work surface, and line a 9-inch pie dish with bottom crust.
- Roll the remaining half out into a 10-inch circle on a floured work surface, and set aside.
- Mix the rhubarb, whole strawberries, 1 cup of sugar, flour, butter, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Pour the filling into the crust-lined pie dish.
- Cut the remaining crust into 3/4-inch wide strips (use a scalloped edge pastry cutter for a prettier crust).
- Moisten the rim of the filled bottom crust with a bit of water, and lay the two longest strips in a cross in the middle of the pie.
- Working from the next longest down to the shortest strips, alternate horizontal and vertical strips, weaving the strips as you go.
- Press the lattice strips down onto the bottom crust edge to seal, and trim the top crust strips neatly.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Remove pie.
- Sprinkle the top with the cinnamon-sugar mixture, and return to the oven; bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 30 more minutes.