Strawberry Cream Pie
Sept 28th is National Strawberry Cream Pie Day
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- Whipped cream, optional
- Cover bottom of pie shell with nuts if desired; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and stir a small amount into egg; return all to the saucepan.
- Cook and stir until almost bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 1-2 minutes more (do not boil).
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and almond extract if desired. Cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream; fold into filling. Pour into pie shell. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- About 2 hours before serving, prepare glaze.
- Combine crushed strawberries and water in a large saucepan; cook for 2 minutes.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir into the berries.
- Cook until thick and clear, stirring constantly. Strain. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange berry halves over filling; pour glaze evenly over berries.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with whipped cream if desired.