Mocha Walnut Torte
- 2 cups walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- Chocolate curls or chopped walnuts(optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line the bottoms of two 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans with parchment or waxed paper; grease and lightly flour pans. Set pans aside.
- In a medium bowl combine nuts, flour, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor combine eggs and sugar; cover and blend or process until smooth. Add nut mixture. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Spread batter evenly in the prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched (centers may dip slightly).
- Cool cake layers on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Spread Mocha Frosting on each layer; stack layers. Loosely cover and chill frosted cake for 2 to 24 hours.
- If desired, top with chocolate curls or chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a chilled small mixing bowl dissolve instant coffee crystals in whipping cream; add sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).