- 3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 sheet thawed puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Optional – 1/4 cup coarse sugar or powdered sugar after baking.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, flour and raisins. Stir to coat evenly.
- Place the pastry onto the baking sheet and roll it out slightly, using a rolling pin to make it even.
- Spread the apple mixture evenly down the center of the pastry, lengthwise.
- Fold the sides of the dough around the apples.
- Seal the dough together by lightly wetting the pastry and pressing it together.
- Whisk together the egg and the milk.
- Lightly brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake your strudel for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.